Thursday, March 17, 2005

Stuff

Happy St. Puddy's Day!

######

My japanese name is 原 Hara (wilderness) 拓海 Takumi (open sea).
Take your real japanese name generator! today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Name Generator Generator.



Link courtesy of Sister Mary Mae "Vinnie" Himm

######

It's now 5 a.m., I'm sitting here listening to WINS-AM out of New York City. It's the all-news station there ("Give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world!"). They haven't had streaming audio until this past Monday so now I have the chance to tune in. I haven't had the chance to listen in since the last time I was back there in March, 1993. Gads! 12 years now! Amazing. I know so much has changed since I was there, I won't recognize the place.

Anyway, the station always reminds me of my family's car - A 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood (the first model after they got rid of the "bat wings") Sky blue exterior, navy blue interior with the hint of smoke of my father's cigar. (I'm one of the few people I know who actually likes the smell of a decent cigar) I named the car "Bertha" after the character "Big Bertha Butt, one of the Butt Sisters" who was immortalized in a song from the late-60's/early-70's. My dad listened to this station as well as WNEW-AM (which I just read left the airwaves forever Dec. 12, 1992 and replaced by WBBR) in the car so when we went on road trips, it was one of those two stations coming over the speakers until we left the NYC area.

Alas, the car is no more, being left to rust away in my sister's yard out in Amagansett many moons ago. I'll miss that gas-guzzler.

Addendum: I just discovered that dear Bertha was in the 1972 song "Troglodyte" by The Jimmy Castor Bunch. Thank da Lawd for de Internets!