Saturday, December 24, 2005

Happy Holidays!




From "Northern Exposure":

As told by Chris Stevens:

"It's an old legend, that on Christmas Eve at midnight, all the animals fall on their knees and speak -- praising the new born Jesus.

(pausing to reflect)

Back in the winter of '68, my Dad was doing a short term for D and D. Mom was -- I'm not sure where Mom was. Anyway, I was home alone on Christmas Eve and I stayed up late to see if my dog, Buster, would talk. He did -- at least I think he did. I don't remember Buster's exact words, but that's not important. What matters is that a seven-year-old boy experienced his own personal epiphany.

My point? It's that Christmas reveals itself to each of us in a personal way -- be it secular or sacred. Whatever Christmas is -- and it's many things to many people -- we all own a piece of it. Kinda like Santa's bag, inside there's gift for everyone.

My Christmas wish for you tonight -- may your dog talk"


"The Legend of the Raven" as told by Marilyn Whirlwind:

""A long time ago, the raven looked down from the sky and saw that the people of the world were living in darkness.

The ball of light was kept hidden by a selfish old chief.

So the raven turned himself into a spruce needle and floated on the river where the chief's daughter came for water.

She drank the spruce needle.

She became pregnant and gave birth to a boy, who was the raven in disguise.

The baby cried and cried until the chief gave him the ball of light to play with.

As soon as he had the light, the raven turned back into himself.

The raven carried the light into the sky.

From then on, we no longer lived in darkness."