Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Here's To You, Mrs. Robinson







Actress Anne Bancroft dies in New York

That saddens me. I always liked her from the first time I saw her in The Miracle Worker back in the mid-60's through many of her movies and it was a treat to see her in what was her first movie role in Don't Bother to Knock with Marilyn Monroe and Richard Widmark. Another film she did was in a small film titled 84 Charing Cross Road, which is one of the books I always loved.

######

I've been spending some time the past few days battling the fucking fundie idiots over on AOL which has taken a bit of energy recently so that's one reason I landed up taking longer than I thought away from here.

Another reason is that I've been searching through the 1910 and 1920 censuses over on Ancestry.com trying to locate various and assorted family members. I did manage to find a few more.

One item which I printed up and faxed to my parents was the draft registration card of my paternal grandfather that was dated June 65, 1918 so it turned 87 this past Sunday. Something about it fascinated me and seeing it meant more than I realized.

He died 3 1/2 years before I was born and I was named after him (a tradition in Jewish families - to name a child after a relative that died before the child's birth). I've only seen pictures and silent black and white films of him that my family has and that was it. Now, being able to see his handwriting as well and some history (his address at the time as well as his employer) added to making him more real. Alas, I'll never be able to meet him, hear his voice, or get to know him but at least he's a bit more alive now to me.